Friday 15 April 2011

The. Amazing. Bolton. Octagon.

I keep having to explain to Bartelt that the weather in the north of England can be rainy and grey as well as absolutely perfect. Bolton looks gorgeous on 18 March and I leave him fast asleep (he's not an early riser) while I trot round town, my first time here. I fancy I can feel the recession, but what do I know?

It turns out the Octagon is just near the library. It springs itself on me out of the blue, mainly because I can't find my way around whichever trousers I'm wearinig, let alone a new town. I go into The Bolton Octagon. The. Bolton. Octagon. The box office staff recognise me. Of course they do – the poster has my great, big phizog on it, but it's pretty weird all the same. I meet the technical guy... who I already know, which is great, and have a look at the studio. It's a lovely studio. I can't believe my luck – I'm getting to do a one-woman show here tonight.

Surprisingly Bartelt is not hungover after his scrumpy experience but it's too cold for him to sit outside in the sun. We sit inside, in the sun. I have various producery-type things to do. Bartelt has none. After years of touring companies of up to 48 people worldwide he is taking a while to adjust to the idea that all he has to do is check that he has me with him. He keeps saying “That's all I need: you!” and laughing with sheer joy.

Time to go and wash my hair, put on too much make-up, prepare for the show in general. On my mind are my sister's friends who are coming to the show.

Although Kate's first experience of working in radio was at Radio Suffolk, her first post-Darlington-training-course jobs were at GMR (now Radio Manchester) and Radio Merseyside. She gained her Civil Enginerring degree (don't ask) in Manchester, she loved the city so much, that freeancing there was, at first, a real pleasure for her. I think she couldn't quite believe that she had made this work, got the career started that she wanted, was back in Manchester loving life.

And she made great friends there... some of them are coming tonight. And other friends of mine and Martin's, but I am very focused on these mates of Kate's: how will they cope with this show? The show is so many things to so many people, but it's something... complicated, sometimes painful, certainly poignant for people who knew and loved Kate. I don't know how it is for them, but I know that Bartelt and I will be there at the end to share a drink with them, or even to buy them one of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment