Sunday 10 April 2011

17 March 2011: off to Bolton!

For SecuLent I am off tea and coffee. As a secular Christian I like to mark the Lenten period in some way, and I have chosen well with excluding tea and coffee. It is clear to me now, just over a week in, that I was becoming pretty obsessed with having a kettle to hand and a little hottie on the go all the time. Of course there are lots of alternatives these days, even out of the home, but I had forgotten how much sugar there is in chai tea latte. No more of that. And it occurs to me now, as I write, that maybe a chai TEA latte has got tea in it....

So here I am, next to Bartelt, on the train to Bolton, utterly wired on a chai-tea-latte-sugar-high. The landscape thundering past seems to be going at the right speed, I feel slightly weepy at this being the first train journey of 25 or so which will comprise the tour and I have the clear desire to get up and dance. Luckily for everyone Bartelt (due to his claustrophobia) is sitting by the aisle so I can't get out.

We stopped for Bartelt's breakfast at one of the cafes in Euston. Of course we got talking to the people next to us (AKA we started talking to some poor innocents). They are off to see friends they met on holiday who live in the Wirral. We agreed that it's great to visit new places in the UK and it's true, I'm really excited about all the new places I'll be seeing, and all the famous theatres.

I am grateful to be touring this show, grateful to everyone who has contributed to getting us on the road and in awe of all the journalists who are bringing me news from all over the world, from Japan to Libya, the bloggers, the fixers.... so that I can read glorious newspapers and my sugar-high twitter feed, as I sit in cafes on tour, supping on.... hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment